Monday, January 28, 2008

Can I Surrender?

"How thankful I am to Christ Jesus our Lord for choosing me as one of His messengers, and giving me the strength to be faithful to Him...." 1Timothy 1:12 I don't know the full extent of His purpose for me. This writing may only server to solidify His message to me. Or it may be used to reach others, that is not for me to know at this time. I am just to continue, at this point, to put in words the thoughts He brings to my mind.

One thing that I want to share, or at least note so that I have a reference to it, is the lyrics to a song that we sang yesterday. I have heard it said that Christians don't tell lies, they sing them. That refers to singing words to songs without stopping to think if those words are true to me, at that very time. This is a very powerful song - if you do a personal review and make sure that the words you sing really are true.

I Surrender All words by Judson Van DeVenter 1896
All to Jesus I surrender All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him, In his presence daily live.
I surrender all, I surrender all; All to thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

How is that for making you shake in your boots? Can anyone really sing that song. Well, not on our own merits. There is no way that I can declare that I can surrender everything. I wish I could do that. But I have this knack of going back to my old ways, greed, selfishness, laziness, worldly possessions. I want to follow Him, I even want to give it all to Him. But I am weak and I have to DAILY ask for His help and His forgiveness. But He is a faithful, loving God, who understands me far better than I do myself. I can sing that song because my heart is singing it, though my flesh is weak and will, again, stumble and fall. But, hopefully, each time I fall it isn't as far or for as long as in the past. I hope that I am growing more like what He has called me to be.

Here is another part of a song from yesterday's service:

Made To Worship by Chris Tomlin
chorus
You and I were made to worship
You and I are called to love
You and I are forgiven and free
When you and I embrace surrender
When you and I choose to believe
Then you and I will see who
we were meant to be

Choosing to surrender, helps me be who He has called me to be. How about you?

No comments: