Friday, February 22, 2008

adorn

Titus 2 gives very clear descriptions of how we should live. As an 'older' woman I am to be reverent in behavior (not necessarily stodgey), not a malicious gossip (that is easy to slip into), not a drunk (okay, that's an easy one for me)teaching what is good (I try to do that) encouraging young women to love their husbands, love their children, be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind and subject to their husbands, so that God's word is not dishonored. Gee, kinda dumps some responsibility on me. I'm not only responsible for my own actions and training up my children but I am to be training up other women. So, essentially, that 'mom' thing continues, now instead of the link with my sons it is with young women. I see. I am to still love and guide my sons but they are to be lead by men now. And my husband's job as a father to our daughter has shifted a bit, well I guess it has been in transition for a while. She needs the leading of women now. Her dad will still be her dad, but she is old enough that some of her training now should be by women. When does this transition start? Is it in highschool? Do the teen years just cry out as the time for other adults to become involved in their lives? This isn't a new idea - youth groups are in fact the beginning of that transition. Elementary children have attahments to teachers but not in the same way. Their parents are still their leaders, teachers their friends. But those teen years when kits get restless and seek out other people's ideas. That is a crucial time. Who will they find? Who will they follow? Who will know when they are in the depths of despair (but wearing a mask well) The Lord has opened my eyes, once again, to the need for mentors - old and young, for teens and men & women.

I don't know if He is calling me into that ministry but He has certainly pointed out that I should live my life so that I show "good faith so that they (I) will adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in every resptect. I love that verse (Titus 2:10) I do want my life to adorn, bring extra interest to, the doctrine, teaching, love, of God. Who wouldn't want to be a lil bling for Christ? LOL

No comments: