Tuesday, February 12, 2008

When you were a small child you were taught...

Children's Sunday School. Teaching them simple songs, Bible verses and telling them Bible stories. It isn't just babysitting them while the parents are in groups or service. 2Timothy 3:14-15 "But you must keep on believing the things you have been taught. You know they are true for you know that you can trust those of us who have taught you. You know how, when you were a small child, you were taught the holy Scriptures' and it is these that make you wise to accept God's salvation by trusting in Christ Jesus." Paul is telling us that the reasons Timothy knew the teachings to be true are A)he could trust his teachers and B)he was taught the Scriptures as a small child. Of course Jesus has been made real to him, I am not belittling that. But this passage really puts importance on trustworthy teachers and the need for the Scriptures to be taught to small children. When you are feeling low, what songs run thru your head? Is it the latest greatest from the radio? Or do you cling to "Jesus loves me, this I know"? How many Bible characters names can create as vivid a picture in your mind (besides Jesus, Mary & Joseph, and other key people) as Zaccheus? You can easily remember that he was small but he didn't let that get in the way of what he wanted to do, get close to Jesus. He was hated but Jesus saw beyond that He saw the heart and loved him. He was changed because he sought Jesus. So many truths come to mind just because that simple children's song has been planted in my mind. I have been away from children's ministry for quite a while, serving in other ways. But lately the Lord has been burdening my heart, calling me back to it. I wait to see where He leads me.

No comments: